We love to spoil our dog with treats, and usually, they come from the store, such as biscuits or jerky packets. But did you know that there are many human foods you can give your dog as a treat, some of which may already be in your kitchen. Not only are these packed with natural nutrients, they will also give your dog variety in taste, texture and eating experience.
Here are our top healthy treat ideas for your dog, straight from your kitchen:
- Blueberries are perfect bite-sized snacks, even for the smallest of dogs
- When to feed: Mix things up by using them as training treats for your dog
- Nutrition: We’ve all heard this before: blueberries are a superfood that provides amazing health benefits. They are jammed with antioxidants, Vitamin A, Vitamin C and fiber.
- Carrots are great chewing treats and mental stimulation for your dog
- When to feed: On a day when you don’t have time to get your pup out for their usual walk: this will keep them occupied!
- Nutrition: Carrots are packed with a variety of vitamins, especially vitamin A: important for keeping your dog’s eyes in tip-top shape
- Freezing different fruit, such as watermelon, is perfect for adding textural variety to your dog’s treats. Just be sure to remove the seeds: high seed consumption may cause blockages in their digestive tract, especially for smaller dogs
- When to feed: Serve it up on hot summer day to help your dog keep cool
- Nutrition: Watermelons contain many different vitamins and minerals. and are also a great way to hydrate as they consist of 90% water!